Kid at art

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Today, I am Thankful for the Internet!

I realize after the last, depressing post, you may have thought I had given up and fallen off the face of the earth.  In actuality, I just ran out of Internet airtime.  I know, that is ALMOST as bad as falling off the face of the earth!

Not 30 minutes after publishing my last post, I got a call from Claudia and she made me feel so much better, mostly I think I was missing Chris and my kids like crazy!  I woke up to Lamentations 3:21-23 on my heart,


"Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness"

So, in the meantime, I have gone to Kampala for the passport interview.  Basically, I think they just want to verify that the person requesting the child's passport really is the legal guardian.  Unfortunately, after verifying that, it takes several more days to actually GET the passport, so we are still missing two vital documents in order to keep our immigration interview.  We are praying like crazy that a miracle occurs and we have them by Friday.

I also taught a little school to the missionary kids this week and started "formally" schooling Annet.  That has been fun because she is VERY exuberant...now if I could just convince her that the letter A is not called Annet!

I have been taking Annet out every afternoon to play with some of her friends.  They go to school in the mornings but are usually at the playground in the afternoon.  It has been fun to watch her interact with them and see another side of her.  Today, one of the girls asked me if I was Annet's sponsor.  She said her sister, brother, and her had a sponsor and they prayed every day that their sponsor would come and get them.  It broke my heart.  There are so many children here I would love to bring home with me.

Oh, I cannot talk about the week without sharing my near death experience...and it had nothing to do with driving in Kampala!  I MIGHT be exaggerating a bit, but Monday night, as I was reading our goodnight book, Annet said look at the ??? (Insert word she uses for ant).  I looked at the wall and saw the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen crawling towards the floor!  People, it was HUGE and hairy and VERY scary!  Like any self respecting mother, I grabbed Annet and ran out of the guest house (hey, at least I grabbed the baby!). To my relief, the night watchman came to my rescue and took upon himself the task of spider removal.  He then searched the whole room and the bathroom for me to make sure they were spider free.  Oh, if you could only see me now.  Now that I know there are man eating spiders in the area, I feel the need to do a full room sweep each and every time I enter.  I also no longer sit with my feet on the floor and do a sheet check before crawling into bed.  AND, I get creeped out by every weird noise...as if the man eating spider is going to warn of his presence with creaking sounds.  I know I am being completely unreasonable, but now I know he is out there, and where there is one, there has to be more.  Imagine a whole colony of man eating spiders.  These are the things nightmares are made of!

Anyway, tomorrow, the muzungus are going to get together and celebrate Thanksgiving.  My contribution is bacon wrapped green beans because that is the only Thanksgivingy thing I know how to make that doesn't have canned something in it.  So far my attempts at converting American recipes to Ugandan cooking methods have been less than stellar so we shall see.  I have, however learned how to light the flimsy Ugandan matches and start the stove.  I am still afraid of using the match, though...so
 I improvise.  I light the match then a candle and then use the candle to light the stove.  I am such a nerd (Which according to my fifth grade tridents is a total compliment)!

So, how can you be praying:

Continue to pray for the immigration process and that we will get the paperwork we need.

Pray for Annet as she continues to adjust to her new circumstances.

Pray for Chris and the kids...and his parents

Finally, please pray that I will be able to sleep.  I know that sounds crazy, but I just cannot seem to sleep here.  I fall asleep and sleep well for a couple of hours and then just doze off and on the rest of the night.  I have tried sleeping without a fan and then with one to block out all the different noises.  I have tried reading...I have finished a lot of books because I just keep reading until I am done.  I'm not scared and don't really feel too stressed, I just cannot sleep.  I get up groggy in the morning, drag a lot of the day, and then at night, get revved up again, which is why it is midnight and I am blogging instead of sleeping.  Anyway, I am feeling the effects of lack of sleep, but I just can't find the cure.  Even one good night would be quite lovely at this point!

Ok, hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving Day.  I am so thankful for all of you, your prayers and support and friendship and also for the privilege of being a daughter of the King!  Blessings to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment