Kid at art

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Goodbyes Stink!

So, I had to say goodbye to Chris today.  He is out of days off work and has to return to the states.  I feel certain his parents will be THRILLED to see him and will not be able to turn over parenting duties fast enough!

I must confess...he was pretty ready to come home!  He missed the kids like crazy, but he also missed cold cokes, hot showers and American cuisine.  I really didn't expect him leaving to bother me too much.  I know, that sounds awful, but I'm in AFRICA...it is new and exciting and I am with Annet.  But it was HARD to say goodbye today!  It is hard knowing that in a day he will be hugging on my babies, taking warm showers, and getting back to normal.  I know that is whiny but it is true.  I miss my kids soooooo much and I am so ready to have a normal conversation with them.  These days of waiting are tough, too.  The people at the orphanage are great, but they have jobs and lives and "stuff" and the days here can get long!  Really long!

Annet is staying with us at the guest house now, and that is a HUGE blessing.  I think it was confusing her a little spending the days with us and then going to someone else's house at night.  Thursday, we went to pick her up like normal and she fell apart, I mean FELL APART!  She screamed, kicked, cried...you name it for at least an hour non stop, of course, that was also the day that the people from Global Outreach (their umbrella organization) were there for like the first time in two years!  We gave them quite a welcome!  That is when we decided it was best to just let her come on and stay with us.  It has been great!  Such an amazing time with her!  She even got to Skype with the kids with us on Friday.

So, where are we in the process?  We are HOPING for an interview with immigration next Monday.
IF that goes well, there is a small possibility we could head home by our Dec. 1 target date.  However, it is really a miracle that we even have an interview scheduled because we do not have all our required paperwork yet.  The girl at immigration penciled us in but told us that if we don't get the required papers, we will lose it.  Unfortunately, we cannot get the papers until the judge signs the ruling which he has not yet done.   We are meeting our lawyer Monday at the passport office...I'm not sure why because that is one of those things we can't get without the court order, but I am hoping, praying and trusting.

Now, for complete, ugly, brutal honesty.  I came knowing full well I would be staying longer than Chris and that it was quite likely I would have to stay past Dec. 1.  I came knowing that there could be hang ups along the way.  I came after reading a million blogs outlining what could go wrong and knowing we were not in for a smooth, clean ride.  So, I know that we have been super blessed so far and that I have no right to complain.  I really cannot even believe how I am feeling because a part of my heart will always be in Uganda.  But I am so ready to come home!  I am so ready to introduce Annet to her brothers and sisters.  I am ready to show her her room and watch her play babies with Lilly.  I am ready to start school with her and have a normal routine.  I am ready to be able to get in the car and go to the store whenever I need to.  I am ready to just hug on my kids until they push me away!  I am DYING for a Diet Coke (yes, I know that is shallow, but I'm being real, here) and a hot shower and to sleep in my bed.

I did not want to say goodbye today and I do not really want to be here by myself for the next two or more weeks.  For the first time since we have been here, my resolve is slipping.  To be honest, this is so far out of my comfort zone, I don't even know how to process it.  I am blessed with a "git 'r done" husband.  I don't usually have to do the meeting with lawyers and stressful interviews...he does that.  So as I sit here tonight, in a silent room and no distractions, the what ifs are beginning to crowd in.  God has been so very faithful through this whole process and has shown His power over and over, so I don't know why I am faltering.  If we have to stay longer, He will provide the strength to get through.  If our case gets sent to Kenya, He will be with Annet until we can get her.  If we don't get our paperwork in in time...He is still God and is still in control.  And while I know all these things, tonight, I am a little sad and a little lonely and a lot ready to know we have made it through the legalities, I have survived an international flight with a stubborn four year old, and our family is complete and all on one continent.

So, for those of you that have not gotten sick of my whining, my specific prayers tonight:

*safe travel for Chris and rest during the flight.  He will get into Nashville around 6:30 Sunday night and has to be at work Monday morning

*continued presence with the children and with Chris' folks who have gone way above and beyond caring for them

*Annet as she continues to adjust to a million changes!  She has been a trooper, but I know things are tough and a bit confusing right now

*our immigration process.  MY desire is that we will get the paperwork, have a good interview and be able to fly home as scheduled...this is almost impossible, but we serve that kind of God.

*strength during the waiting and a willingness to accept His will when it differs from mine

*PRAISE-little Richard that I mentioned in the last post is doing SO much better, it was prayer, folks so keep 'em comin'!

5 comments:

  1. Girl, thank you for your honesty. It is actually good to hear you speak so truthfully - I definitely know you are REAL. It's alright to have these feelings. If you had it all together & felt nothing but happiness - you would have no need for God. You are right where He wants you to be. Hang on just a bit more. We are gonna pray you & Annet home. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll drink another diet coke just for you...gah, i hope it makes you feel better! and i'll pray for your sanity and peace as i drink it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so glad that Annet is able to stay with you. I can't even imagine what must have been going through her mind with the back and forth. What a blessing! Praying for a smooth journey home for each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me with what you do and your awesome reliance on God. You make me so proud and so Thankful. We love you and look forward to seeing you all when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Star, Prayng that you are resting in Him, and trusting in Him to carry out His perfect plan in your lives. That others see Jesus in you. Love you Sister.

    ReplyDelete